Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Shades of Grey- Bumble Bee




So for those who don't know, my Shades of Grey band project will officially be on hiatus this next year while i pursue a new gig out at Hyper Island in Stockholm, Sweden. Only time will tell on whether we decide to write more future stuff together, but before leaving I wanted to finish up on a jam we had started a few months back. It's a reinterpretation of a gem we found crate diggin' one day called Bumble Bee, originally recorded by Lavern Baker in the 1950s.. Laura's sister Aria takes the lead vocal on the verses for this one. My former MystiQuintet violinist Sarina Suno performs an electric violin cameo. And I take a stab at laying down some virtuoso xylophone for the first time. The sound of bees you'll hear in the tune were recorded on a ranch in San Antonio this past 4th of July. I had just woken up and was sneakin' a morning smoke on my friend's outdoor patio when suddenly i heard a swarm lurkin' near in the distance. Rather than running like a bitch, i manned up and confronted the gauntlet, sticking my iphone right in the grills of what i thought were bees. In actuality they were hornets, but close enough! But yah, listen and cop this epic jam, it may quite possibly be our musical curtain call together!



Shades of Grey feat. Aria Cavaliere- Bumble Bee

No comments: